Biography – Dr. Ilya Mazo
Dr. Mazo has worked in the biotechnology industry with a focus in developing bioinformatics solutions to support research for the past 18 years. He has a strong background in both disease biology and statistics and received a Ph.D. in Genetics from the University of Illinois, Chicago in 1996 and a Master’s degree in biophysics from the Moscow Institute for Physics and Technology in 1989. Dr. Mazo is currently involved with Argentys where he is the CEO and is responsible for business development.
KEY PROJECTS / ACHIEVEMENTS
- Development of Pathway Studio systems biology software beginning in 2002. Mazo was principle with the vision and in leading the evolution of Pathway Studio software, which was sold extensively throughout the pharmaceutical and agricultural industries as well as to academics, including the National Cancer Institute at the NIH. The strength of the Pathway Studio product enabled a successful acquisition by Elsevier Inc. in 2011.
- Mazo was actively engaged in the bioinformatics and statistical analysis for the BioNMD effort including genomics analysis of variants and interpretation of disease consequences. This successful engagement has resulted in a long-term engagement with the scientific community in the European Union.
- Mazo led the analysis and interpretive efforts for analysis of genomics data produced from a clinical trial with partners Algynomics, Inc and the Regional Center for Neurosensory Disorders, University of North Carolina. Dr. Mazo led the analysis design and was involved in the genetic and statistical analysis and for the systems biology interpretation of the results as well as the preparation of the manuscript “Facial pain with localized and widespread manifestations: Separate pathways of vulnerability“ which was published in 2013.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- CLONTECH Laboratories, Postdoc, 1996-1997
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, USA, Ph.D. Genetics, 1991-1996
- Moscow Physical-Technical Institute, Russia, M.S. Biophysics, 1987-1989
- Moscow Physical-Technical Institute, Russia, B.S. Physics / Mathematics, 1983-1987